Friday, April 27, 2012

Review: "Girl in Landscape" by Jonathan Lethem



I try not to have many rituals as far as my reading goes, but I still do, like alternating my book reading between authors I have read before and new authors I have not, and picking out one short story collection to read once a month. Another one I do regarding specific authors is reading one Michael Chabon book and one Jonathan Lethem book a year. So far, I have only read three books by these two authors that I thought were any good, those being Wonderboys by Chabon and Motherless Brooklyn and The Fortress of Solitude by Lethem, and all of them I consider to be some of my favorite books. I have yet to recapture that magic of those three, and the Lethem book I read this year, Girl in Landscape, is sadly not any different. It is not as bad as Chabon’s The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, but I was not very into this one, which I bought simply because it was the only book of his not in the library system here. I gave a chance despite its goofy premise of a girl leaving her mother to go to a different planet where an alien hermaphroditic life forms where plants control the climate, but it was just too much for me. I have said before that I cannot really get into science fiction, despite my favorite English class of all time was on the subject. It is just hard for me completely immerse myself in a world that is not like my own in anyway. I am not against escapism, and find the breadth of imagination in some of these works to be staggering, it is just not written for me. If you like that, you may have a blast with this novel, but I’m the farthest thing from an expert when it comes to science fiction.
Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment