Sunday, September 9, 2012

Review: "Headhunters" by Jo Nesbo



I have never been big on such sayings as “the book is always better” when it comes to any kind of cinematic or television adaption of a book or comic. Before I was even able to read well as a kid, I was a movie person, and my opinions of adaptions are shaped by a love of movies I had long before I became a reading machine. There are some cases where I like the book better, but it is mainly because the movie itself is not very good, not because of the way it was adapted. And I can name quite a few movie adaptions that are a lot better than books I found to be subpar. And this book, Headhunters by Jo Nesbo, is one of them. The film adaption came out this year, and I watched it a little more than a week after I finished the book, and I can say with great confidence that the movie is a lot better. It tells its story better, the main character is not as unlikeable even as he goes through some serious shit (literally), and the tale of this person’s redemption is a lot better earned. We meet Roger Brown a corporate headhunter, whose arrogance and entitlement wafts off the page, making us dislike him immediately. He interviews for CEO positions using a police interrogation method, and only cares about surface appearance. He has a hot wife and makes up for his short height by endlessly gifting her with things even as he cheats on her. To supply her with such gifts, he has turned to art thievery, stealing famous paintings to cover house payments. One day he meets Clas Greave at a gallery showing at his wife’s art gallery. He is immediately struck by the challenge Clas presents to him, even more so when he finds that he has a painting worth millions in his home. This leads down a dark violent road filled with car crashes, outhouse diving and eventual change for our reluctant hero. Why I think the movie is better is in the end, once Roger has gone through hell, we see onscreen a level of clarity we didn’t get in the book. I know it is more realistic for change in him not to happen, but I don’t find that story interesting. Still, it is a good book, and better movie I hope you check out.
Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment