Sunday, February 5, 2017

Review: "Her Every Fear" by Peter Swanson


Peter Swanson’s new novel, Her Every Fear, much like Nick Cutter’s Little Heaven is a straight up genre novel, and because of that, I have to judge it by certain merits it has and some that it doesn’t. I really enjoyed this book and read through it quickly; it is perfect for any tropical vacation and keeps the reader in a vice grip up until the ending. But when I read mysteries, one of my favorite genres of literature, I expect a few things. I either expect to be moved, shaken or come away with a profound understanding I did not have before, much like I do with the novels of Richard Price, Dennis Lehane and George Pelecanos, or I want a narrative that is so twisted, complicated and fascinating that I have no idea what is going to happen next and I fear for my well being as well as that of the characters in the book I sympathize with. Sad to say, I had the book’s ending pegged early on, and I wished I did not. You might to, but I won’t spoil it here. Kate Priddy, the book’s main character is a wounded and scared woman living in London. After nearly dying at the hands of her crazed ex-boyfriend, an event that even five years passed still gives her PTSD; she reaches out to her unknown second cousin, Corbin, and offers to swap apartments with him in Boston. As soon as she gets there, her worries come to life after the woman living next door to Corbin is found dead. The book weaves in and out of different perspectives, from Kate’s to Alan, the mysterious man who lives on the other side of the apartment complex, Corbin, who is hiding dreadful secrets and eventually our bad guy, a truly evil and reprehensible human being. Despite figuring it out, I was fascinated by this world, which is expertly plotted and full of unknown dangers lurking around every corner, in every shadow of a darkened room and every creak of old wooden floorboards. The ending might seem to neat to some, but it holds true to the book’s theme about facing the fear of the unknown and getting over your hurt.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment