Friday, December 1, 2017

Review: "Followers" by Adam Fleming Petty


Followers, the debut novella from Indianapolis based writer Adam Fleming Petty has an infectiously archaic quality even though it is a story set in modern times and deals extensively with modern technology. This is an old world kind of story that I would expect from a Southern Gothic writer (full disclosure, I had a chat with the author at a local event before I decided to buy his book and he told me that he had Flannery O’Conner in mind when he was writing it). It never feels like an artifact of this moment despite its time period. It exists in a world filled with a strange sense of wonder, danger and malevolence that is pretty hard to find in the modern era. It stumbles a bit at times, with a few too many framed stories to my liking, but this is a brisk enjoyable 67 page story that offers up quite a few chills and a nice twist. It begins with Hannah Gustafson waiting in the airport. She is waiting to pick up Carolina Diaz, a writer of listicles who has been summoned to Colorado to do a story on Karen Kerry, a quadriplegic religious leader with a significant following. Petty is scarce with details early on, but it unfolds smoothly and when things start getting crazy with one of Karen’s supposedly paralyzed feet, he is able to create a sense of tension and danger with great ease. As I said, some of the back-story that is given is presented as flashbacks and as stories told by the characters themselves. It doesn’t derail the book too much, but it tended to take me out of the story sometimes and could have been put forth in a more covert fashion. I don’t read too many local books, but after reading something like this, I feel I need to immerse myself a little bit more in a community that is not too far from my doorstep.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment